Tuesday, August 4, 2009

What are the Most Useful Gutter Cleaning Tools?

There are several tools you need to clean gutters. Let look at each of them listed in order of importance and explain why each type of tools is needed.
The first tool you need is a good ladder. If you have a smaller build, I would suggest an aluminum ladder. If you have a bigger build, you may need a fiberglass ladder. Aluminum ladders typically hold 200 to 250 pounds. Fiberglas ladders hold 250 to over 300 pounds. Fiber glass is a little heavier than aluminum. In most cases a 24 to 28 ft ladder will work fine for 2 to 2 1/2 stories. It is also a good idea to have a ten foot a frame for getting on the roof on the first level.
Other useful gutter cleaning equipment you might need include gloves, a square bucket with a handle, a gutter cleaning rake, and safety line and a safety harness for extremely high or steep roofs. A gutter rake is my favorite gutter cleaning toll. You can buy these for less then $25 dollars. b They can greatly speed up the time it takes you to get a job finished, allow you to reach around windows, and stay further away from the edge. They makes the job faster and less dangerous. You want to use a flat bucket, because it balance better then a round one.
Your line and harness should be high quality. If you don't know how to install it properly ask a contractor or work with someone that does. You may also need some spiked roofing shoes for ceder roofs. One brand that I like is called Korker roofing shoes. When buying safety equipment I usually upgrade to the most expensive equipment out there as soon as I can.
Other gutter cleaning tools you might need:
A down spout unclogging tool. (Usually a elongated coat hanger works great.)
A hose,- for flushing the down spouts when you are finished clearing them
A hammer and nails for fixing gutters as needed
A flat and a Phillips screw driver.
A sealer for patching gutters or filling nail holes in the roof.
In some cases, a wet dry vac can also be used to clean out the gutter.
These is every gutter cleaning tool I use to clean gutters on a regular basis. If you have anything else you would recommend, or think would be useful, please feel free to leave a comment. Thanks, Spencer

2 comments:

  1. Spencer,
    Would you please consider checking out a website I found in which you can clean rain gutters easier, cleaner, faster, and safer?

    I am the inventor and invite you to come visit with me and check out this new gutter cleaning tool at www.gutterclutterbuster.com

    Read the testaments of our customers so you know how they feel about this new method of cleaning rain gutters with the Gutter Clutter Buster.

    I have heard some teenager in my neighborhood wanting to save their pennies just to buy one so they could make some extra money. I don't know if our community has any laws against this, but it sure sounded good to me that young folks want to help the families out through these tough time.

    Thanks for listening and best wishes for success in your venture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You own a very interesting blog covering lots of topics I am interested as well.I just added your site to my favorites for being able in the next days. Just continue your excellent work. Pretty insightful post. Never thought that it was this simple after all. I had spent a good deal of my time looking for vancouver gutter cleaning someone to explain this subject clearly and you’re the only one that ever did that. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete